Oats are the whole grains commonly eaten in the form of rolled oats and oat meals. Oats are packed with large amounts of both soluble and insoluble fibre along with macro and micronutrients which provides variety of health benefits when included as a part of healthy diet.
Nutritive value of oats
Oats are rich in beta-glucan, a type of soluble fibre which helps to lower HDL cholesterol and is beneficial in the prevention of heart diseases. The nutritive value of oats and oat products is shown in the table below ;
In addition to macro nutrients oats are rich in variety of important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants such as thiamine, iron, copper,zinc, magnesium and manganese .
Health benefits of eating oats
Oats is highly nutritious foods which provides range of health benefits when incorporated in your diet on regular basis . Some of which are as follows;
- Oats are high in both soluble and insoluble fiber that help to relieve constipation.
- As mentioned earlier, the beta- glucan present in oats helps to lower bad cholesterol level in blood. And thus reduces the risk of heart diseases
- Because of the low glycemic index and presence of complex carbohydrates, it helps to maintain glucose level in blood. It is beneficial for people suffering with diabetes.
- High fiber content of oats makes one feel full for longer period of time and helps in weight management.
How to add oats in diet
- Oats can be used as a breakfast cereals. Boil rolled oats or porridge oats in milk . Add honey or topped them with nuts and dried fruits and enjoy a healthy morning meal.
- Add rolled oats in chicken or mutton broth along with seasonings and enjoy a delicious soup in cold weather.
- Blends rolled oats with fruits and yogurt to make a delicious, nutritious and satisfying smoothie for breakfast.
- Instead of flour just add oats in your biscuit recipe and enjoy a delicious oat cookies with tea.
- Replace breadcrumbs with rolled oats to coat fish and chicken in pan fried recipes.