Cold and cough are the contagious and the most common ailment people normally suffer several times throughout the year. Usually over the counter medications are offered to the patients suffering from cold and cough, but these medicines doesn’t really cure the symptoms just offer temporary relief. There are several ingredients in our pantry which can help to ease the symptoms of cold and cough. Cold and cough lasts for two weeks and after that time period it automatically clears up.
Signs and symptoms
Common signs and symptoms of cold are
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Fever and chills , if the cold is caused by bacterial infections
Food to relieve cold and cough symptoms
Cold and cough symptoms usually subsides in a week or two without any medicines. Healthy food and drinks are especially important in order to ensure quick recovery from the symptoms.
Drink plenty of fluids
Drinking plenty of fluids is extremely important to remove mucus and to prevent dehydration accompanied by fever during bacterial infections. An adult should take at least 2 litres of water in cold and cough. Many hot drink are especially helpful in sore throat and also helps to reduce chest congestion. Fluids which are proved to be helpful are;
- Lemon and honey in warm water
- Chicken broth and chicken soup
- Herbal tea with ginger and cinnamon
- Fresh turmeric boiled in milk
Antioxidants plays a vital tole in the prevention and treatment of common cold and cough. The antioxidants found in food helps to fight against free radicals which can cause damage to parts of cells by a process of oxidation. Studies reveals that antioxidants found in most fruits and vegetables helps to boost immune system and relieve cold and cough symptoms . It also helps to shorten the duration of these ailments. Some of the antioxidants rich foods which are found to be effective in old and cough includes
- Chilli pepper
- Vitamin C
Omega 3 fatty acids
The benefits of omega 3 have been widely discussed for boosting immune system and reducing inflammation throughout the body. Numerous studies advise that daily use of fish oil capsules helps to prevent cold in winter season. Rich sources of omega 3s are
- Fatty fish
- Chia seeds
Foods to avoid
There are numerous foods which causes discomfort in cold and cough and also delay the recovery
- Caffeinated beverages causes dehydration.
- Deep Fried food releases an airborne irritant which trigger coughing
- Processed foods are high in sugars, salts , and low quality fats which tend to worsen the symptoms.
- Tobacco is the leading cause of chronic bronchitis in individuals.
- Fruits such as banana, oranges and mango increases phlegm production and trigger cough.