Type 2 diabetes is the metabolic disorder usually occurring in persons older than 30 years of age. It is the condition in which pancreas fails to produce enough insulin required to maintain normal glucose level in blood.
Risk factors for type 2 diabetes:
- Older age
- Family history for diabetes
- Physical inactivity
- A prior history of gestational diabetes
symptoms of type 2 diabetes:
- Excessive thirst
- Frequent urination
- Weight loss
Dietary therapy in type 2 Diabetes
Diabetes is a chronic disease that requires changes for lifetime. Besides medications diet therapy is also important to achieve normal blood glucose and lipid levels. Caloric restriction and moderate weight loss have been shown to improve diabetes control. People with diabetes should eat the diet rich in fibre , low in saturated fats, and include variety of fruits and vegetables.
Tips for healthy diet in diabetes
- Eat regular meals.
- Make healthy food choices, for eg, wholegrain cereals and grains instead of white rice and refined flour. vegetables with high water and fibre content grown above the ground like karela, okra instead of the roots like potatoes
- Avoid excessive fats and oils
- Enjoy variety of fruits and vegetables approximately 5 a day.
- Fish is good source of omega3 which is good for heart and is a low fat protein. Try taking fish proteins instead of red meat.
- Try to avoid sugar rich foods and desserts as far as possible. Only use them occasionally.
- Try to increase your physical activities. Walk for at least 30 mins in a day.
- Drink plenty of water.